Tuesday, July 23, 2013

When you mess up your Broyhill Brasilia Dresser.....


I've encountered a small setback in my furniture refinishing project. The very beautiful wood on the top of the dresser looks so stunning when it was bare wood. I started pre-staining and then put one coat of stain on the top and then I was almost in tears as I watched it dry. The orbital sander I used to sand the paint off left squiggly marks all in the wood. I was so careful to change sanding pads often so that this would not happen and I couldn't see the marks until I stained it. 

So, I have some choices. I can try to keep sanding it down until some of the squiggles are removed but I run the risk of sanding completely through the veneer. I could replace the veneer all together but I am imagining the cost of the veneer would be significant and I have never replaced veneer before. I could end up really messing up my dresser and having to send it off for a professional restoration and then I will have to hang my head in shame and admit I got in over my head. 
 
Although you have to look at the wood from the top or at an angle to see it, I know its there and it will bother me. 

I think I will try sanding it down a bit more and then staining it and putting the poly coat on and living with the damage I created.

It's truly heartbreaking.