Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Update on my Broyhill Brasilia Dresser refinishing

 The hardest part so far has definitely been this bottom rail. It feels like there isn't any veneer on this and it's just 100% walnut wood. The paint and stain took a really long time to sand off. You can see the damage to the veneer in between the drawers. I am still not sure what I am going to do. Either replace the 4 panels or just remove the damaged panels. You won't be able to tell unless the drawers are removed anyway. I am pretty sure the damage was caused by moving multiple times and by critters of some sort. 
 Here is the last two photos I took after completing the first sanding with 80 grit sand paper. I was super shocked at how beautiful the veneer was after all of these years. I was anticipating water marks and deep scratches which had been covered by paint. There were some scratches but they were easily sanded out. There was one tiny spot on the right hand side you can see in the photo below that is deeply "stained" by something. I don't mind though. It will give it a little character.

If you notice, I left the middle part of the dresser unsanded. The dresser had been painted at one time with a dark brown paint, however the middle drawers behind the doors were left unpainted. I considered sanding them down so that they would completely match the new stain, but I decided to keep that part the way it was from the factory. This is furniture I am never planning on getting rid of or selling so it was a personal choice. 

Since I took these photos I have completed the second sanding with 220 grit sand paper. The second sanding usually takes a fraction of the time compared to the first sanding. Next I will use pre-stain conditioner and then two coats of stain on the drawers and doors. I am a little concerned with putting the polyurethane coats on the top and sides. The top is very very long and using a brush will leave brush strokes and bubbles so I may use the rub-on method which worked well on the top of the end table. 

I wish there was someone I could learn this from. It would be great if there was a class on refinishing furniture. Everything I have learned has been from Russel or the "inner-nets" which is great but hands-on learning works better.

More pics to come. Stay tuned!