Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Stain Time

I couldn't hardly wait to get home yesterday to start staining the drawers and the doors. The doors took a lot longer than I expected and I somehow forgot that I had sponge brushes to use and started using a clean rag to rub the stain on. Yeah sometimes I get a head of myself and do goofy stuff like that. I think everything turned out lovely though. I was very surprised by how deep the wood grain looks after I stained it. I just wanted to stare at it. 

Bare naked wood

I did a pre-stain conditioner just to make sure the stain went on without blotches.

Pre-stain conditioner phase

Half dry and half wet
 Another boo-boo I made was not checking the pre-stain conditioner and since the drawers were sitting on an angle and sort of leaning the pre-stain conditioner pooled at what would be the top of the drawer. I don't think this effected the stain any but it could have and that would have been disasterous. I just wiped away the excess and let it completely dry.

Close up of the door after pre-stain conditioner

Two coats of stain on the left and the right is ready to go.

two coats of stain on the drawers

two coats of stain on the door.



This photo below is a comparison between the original wood stain center drawer and a newly stained drawer pictured on the top. The lighting is a little off because of the shadows and sunlight but in person the stain matches perfectly. I was surprised because I didn't have to mix stain colors. This is Cabot Dark Walnut stain right out of the can.
 
Comparison with original wood