Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Broyhill Brasilia Dresser Beautiful wood revealed with stain

I was so excited to work on this yesterday after work. I did 1 coat of Minwax pre-stain conditioner and then two (and a half) coats of Cabot Dark Walnut stain. I say half a coat of stain only because the second coat began drying faster than I could wipe it off and some parts were sticky so I added more stain and quickly wiped off. I am sure this is a rookie mistake just like my swirly marks from the orbital sander. 

The top of the dresser is so long I really should have had help. Plus, it was only about 101 degrees outside when I was doing this in the garage so I had the fan blowing on me so I didn't pass out. There was just no way I could have survived with turning the fan off.

I was super dooper happy to see that there were no swirly marks and the beautiful wood showed through. I am sure I am on a ultra thin piece of veneer after sanding but it turned out ok. I am pretty sure that the grain of the wood wasn't as absorbant as it would have been without the heavy sanding but I think in the end it turned out nicely.

I hope to put on at least 1 coat of wipe on Polyurethane. I have found that this method looks truest to the original and doesn't turn out over glossy like the Broyhill Brasilia Commode I refinished first. Even though it same Minwax Poly I brushed it on and it was not thinned out. When I use the wipe on method I have far far less bubbles and it dries much faster so I can do more coats. 


After the poly the only thing I have to do is drill bigger holes for the drawer pulls and then it will be ready to go!!!! YAY!