Friday, August 27, 2010

A headset may cure your pain

I have been dispatching for roughly 13 years and in that 13 years I bet I have answered thousands of phone calls, all without a headset. I am constantly typing and talking on the phones even when I am dispatching. So, I put together a proposal for the department to purchase headsets for our administrative phone system for our 9 dispatchers. The officer who is on the "Equipment committee" who was helping me with this has recently left the department and my proposal never made it to the official committee for consideration.

I am completely jealous of employees who work for large corporations who can afford to provide headsets to them...ahem, I'm not naming names but their initials are Dell.

Well, since we have no departmental budget for such exorbitant equipment I decided to purchase a headset and amplifier out of my own pocket to try on our antiquated phone system. My neck is sore and tired of holding the handset between my cheek and shoulder while I type. I have even considered using a rubber band to keep the handset on my head between calls and while I am on the phone so I can hold my head upright. Like this:

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the headset I ordered will work with our antiquated phone system. The "telephone guys" here at work have told us that they don't make a headset which is compatible because it is so old. I spoke with the actual manufacturer and they said it will work. I really hope so or I will be returning it and going to Office Depot for extra large rubber bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment