Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Veteran's Day Dad!

USS Lipan


I wanted to do something special for my dad today because it's Veteran's Day. I am not sure that he reads my blog even though I have sent him the link several times.

As some of you know, my dad is a Vietnam Veteran and served in the Navy for 3 years. I can't imagine how my mother must have felt during that time. My sister was born when he was away at war. I still have the message that was sent to my dad's ship announcing her birth and that she and my mom were ok. My mom told me that while she was pregnant my dad mysteriously had morning sickness and he was a million miles away. I am sure she was very happy to have him home safe and sound when he was discharged.



A few years ago I was working night shift and surfing the "internets" and I was curious if there was anything about his ship online. I was very surprised that there was a website just for his ship which was set up by one of his Navy friends Rich Tetrault. I was so excited when I e-mailed my dad to tell him I FOUND YOUR SHIP!!!!!!! I found people who served with you! I found friends you haven't talked to in years! I could barely wait for him to contact them and catch up. I have no idea why this hit me this way. If anything my sister would have more ties to that time period. It must have been because I read all of the letters my dad wrote my mom while he was away. She kept them all neatly tied with ribbon in the cedar chest. Wow, it makes me tear up even now.

1968

Dad is on the right laying in the bunk



 
So, my dad made contact with his Navy buddies and started going to Navy reunions. He just came back from the reunion they had in  Hawaii where he was stationed during the war. I even got a chance to meet his friend Rich who started the website for his ship. http://usslipan.com/ Very nice man. I thanked him for his service and thanked him for being a part of getting my dad home safely.


Rich and Dad

Navy guys nowadays


I can't imagine being in the military, even for a short amount of time. I am proud to have a father who served unselfishly, courageously, and proudly. Thanks to everyone who served our country and especially you Dad. I love you.