Thursday, January 20, 2011

Remember the old days?

So, it might not be the old days for some but I have been watching some "classic" 70's and 80's TV series like The Incredible Hulk, Star Trek, Alien Nation and 21 Jump Street. All of them have some serious cheesy-ness but 21 Jump Street is tops it. Of course most people think about Johnny Depp as a superior actor who is diverse, cool and sensative. 21 Jump Street was pretty early in his career. I am always pretty critical of shows about cops, because hey, that's what I do. Maybe that's the way they did it "back then," but wow, we definately do it differently today. In the pilot episode Johnny Depp is involved in a pursuit of a vehicle which just committed an armed robbery. He gets on the radio and directs his radio traffic to "Control." Ummmm air traffic control? Command control? Janet Jackson control? It just caught me as something pretty funny.


While I am on the subject of things that bother me about movies and tv series, I have to say the absolute worse is when they have a diabetic character who starts going into some type reaction because, "they need their insulin" Ok folks, here is the deal: Panic Room did it wrong. Steel Magnolias did it right. I would have thought that Jodie Foster was smarter than that.


Now most people would complain that most movies aren't accurate because of science, or cars blowing up on impact and things like that. Yeah I don't care about that stuff as long as it's spoon-fed, mind numbing action. Just hide the wires and get the small stuff right.


I remember sitting down religiously to watch these shows with my mom. She was a big movie buff, especially sci-fi. I remember as a kid, I loved watching The Incredible Hulk with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno. I covered my eyes and just couldn't watch when Bill Bixby's eyes turned scary green, but it was awesome. I think my absolute favorite was watching Star Trek, the original series and The Next Generation with my mom. We were both really concerned that there wasn't a Vulcan like Spock when the Next Generation came out, but I think we quickly warmed up to Data who was the "logical" replacement. Still, Spock holds a very special place in my heart.

So, in a world full of reality shows that suck and aren't really representative of the REAL world I long for the days of good shows full of cheesy-ness. The Real Housewives of "Generic" County??? Really? Keeping up with the Kardashians? Who are these people and why do we gravitate towards watching people with a lifestyle that isn't real? The Biggest Loser? Wait, let me finish eating my jelly donut before I criticize that one.

How about a list of the worst and the best? Ok maybe just a short list.

THE WORST TV SERIES AND MOVIES EVER!
Magnolia
Shallow Hal or anything with Jack Black
Anything with Jim Carrey
American Beauty
Rosemary's Baby
A Christmas Story- once was enough
The Thing
The Thaw
Manos: The Hands of Fate - even Mystery Science Theatre couldnt help this one out.
Crash
Jersey Shore
Keeping up with the Kardashians
Real Housewives...
The Biggest Loser


So many more that suck


THE BEST TV SERIES AND MOVIES EVER!
Aliens
The Terminator
Star Trek 2009
Halloween (Original)
The Color Purple
Places in the Heart
Glory
Lonesome Dove
The Thorn Birds
Gone with the Wind
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
The Green Mile
Apollo 13
Platoon
Man on Fire
Die Hard
Vertigo
Psycho
Rear Window
Cops series
Star Trek orginal series
The Incredible Hulk series
Forever Knight series
Alien Nation series and movies
A Haunting series


So many more that are great.

Those are my thoughts for the night. Time for bed.





No comments:

Post a Comment