Friday, September 3, 2010

Football tonight

Tonight Lago Vista battles East Side Memorial High from Austin. East Side Memorial High was recently renamed after AISD decided to close Johnston High because of poor testing scores. I probably wouldnt have picked East Side Memorial High since it sounds so stereotypical of a poor school. My mother and father both went to Johnston High School and graduated in 1962. My dad was a high school drum major and a very accomplished saxaphone player. He met my mother when they were in Jr. High school at a hay ride, but he didn't get the nerve to talk to her until they were in the hall way and she was trying to hang something on the board. Mom was a very accomplished trouble maker and bad girl...or so I hear. I suppose that is where I get it from. I wish I could have been there when they started dating. I would have liked to see if my mom was really as much of a bad girl as my dad says she was. I am sure that tonight will evoke a lot of memories for him. 48 years ago he was leading the band onto the field for their exciting half time show. I bet my mom was proud to watch him conduct the band.

So, everyone is going to the football game tonight and even though there are only about 20 members of the Lago Vista Marching Band, the whole family, Russel, and I will be cheering my nephew Juan on through the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment