Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sitting on a cornflake...

Last night Russel and I went to see The Eggmen perform at the Paramount theatre. I had a really wonderful time. I have to say, before I met Russel, I wasn't much of a Beatles fan...or a Pink Floyd fan...or a Rush fan. Of course I didn't know what I was missing. Last night's performance included the McCallum Orchestra with a few additions. A few saxaphones, trumpets, a trombone and a clairnet. This was really a great addition to hearing a cover band play the Beatles classic songs. It almost made me want to learn music again....almost.

Once upon a time I was a pretty decent saxaphone player and bassoonist. I think I must have mentally blocked a lot of my Jr. High and High School musical carreer. By my senior year in high school I was pretty burned out. I think I even quit somewhere in there and went back to play instruments in the pit during marching season. Last night's performance brought back some sort of reminiscent memories. Maybe because back in the day, I enjoyed practicing a piece until I had it perfectly, then feeling awesome when I performed in front of an audience. About three years ago I got the musical bug again and asked for a keyboard for Christmas. I tried to teach myself to read music again. I didn't do very well. I could play about a bar on the piano and then I was stuck again. That took me about a week to learn. One day I may try again, especially when I gain inspiration from hearing Russel play his guitar. Maybe I will just sing badly while he plays guitar. I'm quite sure he likes it. Ha! Just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment