Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Learning new skills

I am actually having a great time refinishing this furniture. I didn't think I would enjoy it this much. 

I was doing my searching through Craigslist one night and I found what was described as a mahogany headboard. I clicked on it and I immediately saw the Broyhill Brasilia sliders. It was a king sized bookshelf headboard. We used to have these headboards when I was growing up. I was completely shocked when I saw the price and the listing was a few weeks old. I sent a text to the owner hoping and it was still available. After a few texts back and forth, Russel and I were picking it up. I got 3 of these sliders for $20.00!!!! 

 After a little clean up they turned out like this:

 So, my plan is to hang them on the wall in the bedroom. 

After we looked at the headboard itself, it was more work than I was willing to put in and the veneer needed to be replaced in many places. So, we decided to go ahead and say goodbye to the headboard. I put it back on Craigslist for free because I really didn't expect anyone to take it. I had multiple e-mails and someone actually picked it up before I could remove the posting. So, I hope that the new owners can refurbish it and make it like new. I'd love to see it all fixed up. 

That same day we transported the dresser from my Aunt's house and made a place for it in the garage. I have already started sanding the drawers. 

I have been extra careful to not sand through the veneer by accident. :-) 

The small night stand has been a little difficult to finish completely. I can't seem to get the top of the stand as perfect as I want. It's either a stray bubble, the poly was thinned too much (my fault), or a stray cat hair or bug in the finish. I will sand it down again and try one more time. Gotta keep my fingers crossed. 

Here are some pics of the Poly process though. 










 I have also contacted Broyhill Furniture to see when they are releasing their new Mardella line of furniture which pays tribute to the old Brasilia line. I have seen articles online and some say June/July but I haven't found anything from authorized dealers. 
I was doing the Snoopy dance when I received a response from them....

It's a little hard to read but it says that the line is in production now and we should see it in stores end of summer beginning of fall!!!!! YAY! 

This is the furniture I would love to have in the bedroom. 

The only thing I have not been able to locate for less than an arm and leg and my first born child are the drawer pulls. 

If you see these laying around anywhere call me, email me, smoke signal me, come knock on the door!!!!