Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Award

I was informed yesterday that a group of officer and dispatchers from our department will be recognized for our efforts during the September 28th incident on campus by the 100 Club of Central Texas. While I am extremely honored by the nomination, I am writing this not to brag on my acheivement, but rather to say there were more people involved who were not included in this award.

During any major crisis you hope that you have the best people available to be a part of your team to bring everyone home safe. I had a team of people working with me that were the best of the best. Kathy and I would not have been able to do it alone. There were officers and dispatchers who came in early and some on their day off to help us. Matt didn't wait to be told we needed help, he sacrificed his day off and came in to help. We had support services come in to help us answer phones and I never once worried about what they were telling the callers on the other end. We shared a radio channel with Austin Police Department and their dispatchers were incredible. They gave me the radio when our officers were talking and they handled their officers when they needed them. It made everyone feel a bit more comfortable I think rather than one anonymous voice on the radio acknowledging their traffic. We did our job with the best team and we brought our officers home safe.

If you are not familiar with the 100 Club of Central Texas they are a non-profit organization that helps family members of first responders who are killed in the line of duty. They also provide a formal police funeral for K-9's and horses used in mounted patrol after they pass even if they are retired at the time of their death, including a headstone, a flag presented to their handler and a casket spray of flowers.  That's very very cool in my book. You can find the link here.

The awards ceremony is next week and while I am not thrilled about having to wear a dress or getting my picture taken, I will be there. I will be thinking warm thoughts for those who did an outstanding job and who will not be there. Thanks for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment